Follow me on my hair journey. This should be quite an adventure!

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Going Natural

For the past 8 yrs, I have not put any chemicals in my hair.  Ok... that might not be true.  I did do a Texturizer one time... but that was over 5 ys ago and I've done nothing since then.  My hair is in its natural state, but I've been hiding it under a hairpiece.... ponytail.  I'm tired of doing this and need to stop hiding my hair.  So for the past year, I have been researching natural hairstyles and how to maintain my hair.  I have considered all forms of loc'ing techniques and its still a puzzle as to whether I will or not in the end.

I've considered Sisterlocks ... but at this time ... and in this economy... I can't afford the cost of the install.  It's still on the back burner.  Who knows!!  I might come upon some money and be able to do it. 

I've considered traditional loc's and have several friends who wear their hair this way.  They've all told me to "just do it".  Am I chicken or what.  Loc'ing the hair is sort of a permanent thing.  I've heard that it can be painstakingly taken out... but do I want to go through all of that in the end if I don't like the way it looks on me.

Two nights ago, I decided to wash my hair very well, condition it and then attempt to do a 2-strand twist.  So it took me a little while to get this done.  I rolled the twists because I wanted to have a curly look in the end.  I got up the next morning and took the rollers out.... and was amazed because I'd not done this before and I was looking all cute and stuff.  LOL!



Then I started separating them.  Hmmmmmmm..... things just didn't turn out the way I wanted it to.  I was so disappointed.  I finger combed my hair out ... and poof .... it was not pretty at all.  I tried everything I possibly could to make it look right and it was just not happening.  So I attempted to spritz it and see if that would work.... hahahaha... gotta laugh... for I just made things worse.  So I said, well maybe I can style it into an afro... what a joke.  My hair is not "nappy" at all.  It's a curly wavy, puffy type of hair ... that went from stringy to puffy.

So I was meeting a friend for a late lunch at 1pm.  Its now around noonish and my hair is a total disaster.  What to do??  So I spritzed it some more..... took my comb and brush... and combed it into my typical ponytail and then hid that with one of my hair pieces... and off I went.  After lunch, I found a hair salon that has a natural hair stylist and went in.  She wasn't there, but I got her number and called her to make an appt for a consultation.  Then I called a friend who wears dreadloc's in her hair to find out the name of the person who maintains her loc's for her.  I made another appt for a consultation with her for bright and early in the am.

So today, June 16, 2010 ... I went for a hair consult.  I should have taken my camera.  The stylist was very nice and friendly.  We had a very good conversation about my hair and what its not doing and what I have not done to it.  As she prepped me, she said... would you like to take off your hair.  LOL!  Ok... so off goes the ponytail.  She unbraids my ponytail and then there was silence.  She says, when was the last time you had your hair trimmed.  I can't lie... I really don't know when I trimmed it last... and yes, I know it was all sorts of lengths.  I told her about my hair fiasco from the day before..... my not so afro.  As she was examining my hair, she tells me that I have 2 textures in my hair... its not kinky... but very wavy.   We talked about hair types and how she would classify mine.   She wanted to know what size loc I was considering for my hair.  I said I really didn't know... but based on yesterdays experiment, it probably couldn't be too small.  She agreed and stated she would do some test loc's, but they would be medium in size.  She put one in the middle of my hair and 3 at the nape.  They looked quite well.  As she was explaining the process and what she thought of my hair, it didn't appear that loc'ing was going to be the route for me to go at this time.  She informed me that it might be 12 months or more before my hair actually loc'd and then again, it might never fully loc based on my hair type.

So I discussed with her the ability to be natural, but having some other type of style.  She then stated, "I'm glad you asked".  We looked at another option.  So on Thursday morning, I will be going in for her to do the "other" option and to see if this is going to work for me.  If not, I may consider doing the loc's in hopes that it does work for me in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment